Navigate Up
Sign In

Cross-Border Legal Aid

If you live in Malta

In Civil matters, a person can apply through a cross-border application found here​. If the application is tranmitted through Legal Aid Malta as a transmitting authority, the person will be means and merits tested according to the applicable law in Malta.
In Criminal matters, a person who lives in Malta and who is a victim of an offence in another European Union country may file a report in the country where the offence happened or if the person was unable to file the report in that Member State will have to report to the Police in Malta who will then take the necessary action. As for cross-border cases, there is no European Union legislation on the subject. ​

Requesting legal aid from another country

In Civil matters, if you are in another European Union country you may apply through the legal aid entity of that country by filling in the relative applications found here ​and after being means tested in the country you are applying from. The applications will be transmitted to Legal Aid Malta as the receiving Central Authority who will file the relative applications to court.
In Criminal matters, up to the compiling of this information there is no European Union legislation. ​

International Maintenance Obligations (Legal Aid) Order

All outgoing and incoming applications for international maintenance obligations are dealt by the Social Care Standards Authority being the Central Authority in such matters. When a party of outgoing and incoming applications require the services for legal aid, a copy of their applications will be transmitted to Legal Aid Malta in order to assign the party with a legal aid lawyer. ​

Contact Information:

Old Bakery Street,
View map